Prizes & Jury
Winners will be chosen through a public voting process as well as a jury process. Both processes will select a winner in each of the categories and streams:
- Building Bold: Public Land
- Building Bold: Private Land
- Vibrant Neighbourhoods: Public Land
- Vibrant Neighbourhoods: Private Land
Public voting will take place from July 5 - 19, 2012, online at Vancouver.ca/rethink. Popular vote will determine the “People’s Choice” winners. These winners will not be eligible for a cash prize, however, the public voting period will be kicked off by a public event where all submissions will be showcased.
A jury comprised of five non-City members of the Mayor’s Task Force on Affordable Housing will review the submissions from July 5-19, and choose four winning entries. A total of $8,000 in prize money will be distributed by the jury to winners in the two streams of each category. The jury reserves the right to identify honourable mentions in either stream or category. The prizes will be allocated as follows:
- Building Bold: Public Land $3000
- Building Bold: Private Land $3000
- Vibrant Neighbourhoods: Public Land $1000
- Vibrant Neighbourhoods: Private Land $1000
- Alan Boniface: Principal, DIALOG; Chair of the Urban Land Institute of BC
- Nathan Edelson: Senior Partner, 42 Street Consulting
- Mark Guslits: Architect, Principal, Mark Guslits & Associates Inc.
- Olga Ilich: past president of Suncor Development and Urban Development Institute, Pacific Region
- Kenneth Kwan: Chair, Building Committee, S.U.C.C.E.S.S.
Professional Advisor: Sean Ruthen, MAIBC
All winning entries will be announced in late July. Winning submissions will be submitted to the Mayor’s Task Force on Housing Affordability, who will include them in their final report to Vancouver City Council. As part of re:THINK HOUSING, Spacing Magazine will publish the winning entries in their Fall 2012 national edition.